Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Christmas came early this year

Christmas is eight days away, where the heck did the month go? I've only done a few bits of shopping, and I don't know when I'll be able to finish. I'm pretty much done, though, so I'm not too worried. I haven't sent a single Christmas card, even though I still have the unopened boxes of cards I bought last year. I love you all, but I'm damn tired right now.

I've got a few things on my wish list, but they're not likely to happen, seeing as they include adding 800 sf to the house, getting a new car, and taking a 17-day Mediterranean cruise. I'd love a GPS for the MINI, and another trip to Ireland, this time with a chance to just wander around. One of those might happen, the rest is on the "when I win the lotto" list.

It's going to be a laid-back Christmas. Funds aren't too tight, but we just spent a good sum on the wedding. So we're doing a couple of biggish presents each, but we're not going all out, not like we have in past years. So no three hour marathon present opening session. The tree isn't even up yet, which must happen this weekend. Hopefully it won't be raining, and I'll even be able to put up lights.

I'm finding that presents aren't too important this year, really. The family presents are sorted, but I've had more fun and taken more meaning from helping others. I took my budget for work-related presents and spent it on Toys for Tots via the MINI Cooper club I'm most active in; I've upped my contribution to the work related charity this year, too. My co-workers have adopted two families that need help to have a nice holiday. One of them is a military family, the other is just a young family struggling to get by. I'm feeling fortunate that I've got a good, steady job. Christmas came a couple of months early this year: getting married was eleventy-seven Christmases all wrapped up into one. With sugar plum fairies and eight lords a leaping.

No comments:

Post a Comment